Photobucket

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Let's brighten our day!

I know we all get down in the dumps from time to time. From a wide range of things. If you are feeling a little down or depressed, it can seem like there is nothing you can do to improve your mood. I searched and found ways to help get you (and me) out of the funk and find our sparkle again!

1. Get a pet - Extensive research demonstrates that people with pets are happier people. It is a great feeling to take care of something and to have it love you unconditionally. Dogs especially enhance mental health because they force you to get out of the house and get some exercise. Additionally, spending only 5 minutes a day petting a dog or cat has been shown to lower blood pressure. Check - just adpoted Sammie! He is begging for a belly rub...
2. Do something you love - Think of what activities bring you the most joy and relax you. If you are feeling unmotivated to get started on the activity, then commit to just a few small steps: get the art supplies out of the cabinet, lay everything you need on the counter, and spend just 3 minutes painting. Probably you will find that you do have the energy to continue on the project. Check - I am painting for two great friends! Work in progress....here is my next project for Layla's big girl room. A version of the below piece. 3. Call someone who is caring and encouraging - It is hard to reach out to others when you are blue, but social contact is a great alleviator of depression. If it is hard to think of anyone supportive in your life, then go somewhere to be around others: the movie theater, coffee shop, book store, mall or church service. I am blessed when it comes to this aspect! Check - just call friends or family! 4. Keep a compliment file - Write down any compliments you can remember receiving lately. Also collect special cards or positive job performance reviews. Keep these things together to give yourself a boost when you are down. Check - I am awesome, and I know it! Ha!

5. Exercise - It has been said that exercise releases endorphins which improve mood. There is some debate whether this is scientific fact, but studies show a definite connection between exercise and low rates of anxiety and depression. Not so much check! Need to work on this...although me and Layla bust some serious dance moves everyday...that has to be worth something. It always makes me feel better. Michael Jackson anyone?

6. Focus on the basics - Have you ever noticed how much better you feel after a warm shower? Simple actions to take care of yourself can make a big difference. Get out of bed, eat a healthy breakfast, shave, and dress nicely. Check - only because I am at work today!

7. Be your own motivator - Set small goals to accomplish important tasks. If you feel overwhelmed because you have piles and piles of laundry around the house, then commit to just one load and grab that laundry basket to collect it. Or if you feel discouraged by job searching, then make just one phone call or send your resume to one place. Check - I am working on one goal right now! I am helping a tremendous friend find their sparkle again. It has been a rough week.

8. Change your vantage point - A different environment or change of routine might help improve your perspective on things. So do things backwards, take a new route to work, get out of the house for awhile, or spend some time outside. Check - When I am frustrated at work, I always walk away from my desk to grab some fresh air. Always helpful. Check out the Ferris Wheel view I enjoyed on Saturday with Richard and Layla. Lovely downtown Houston.

9. Consider therapy - For depression that is recurrent and lasts for days, professional help is recommended. Check - I use my friends and family as my therapists. My boss is a really great therapist to me. Thanks, KK.
10. When it gets serious... If you are persistently depressed, then it is time to talk to your therapist or medical doctor, and medication could be necessary. I am happy to report I have not had to resort to this treatment, but some of my close friends have. I am happy they took control of their life and their quality of life. Try to never judge others, as you never know what battles they are fighting.
This is for all my loved ones. Keep your head up!

1 comment:

Nicole said...

I LOVE this Mel! I'm going to turn to this when I am down! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...