Photobucket

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Layla's 1st dental visit

Don't judge.  Layla is 3.5 years old and I just took her to her 1st dental exam.  Don't judge.  {feels guilty}


That was her before the appointment, excited and ready to go! 

She even got bribed a new baby doll, with teeth, to accompany "the big girl who acts right at the dentist."


She looks perplexed in the photo...that's because she is.  She said, "But, I want the white one." 

Made me sad. 

But, she welcomed "Reagan" into our family anyway...

I think I have mentioned before on my lil ole blog that color is a hot topic between Layla and her 3 year old friends.  I think it even started a year ago...crazy, I know!  I was hoping all of this started at elementary school...not the PRE-pre-school!!!!!!   

Layla came home and said, "I'm white, not brown, right, mommy?!"  And I explained to her that she is both.  But, that is not what is important.  Yada, yada, yada....she has even been told she has "clown hair!"  {mommy's heart was damn near crushed by that}

Well, "color" is obviously still a topic at school.  A very diverse school, I might add. 

I have a ton of thoughts regarding all that, but, um, okay....moving on....

As you can see, she was a little apprehensive sitting in the waiting room, but all in all, she was good. 


But, all hell broke loose once she hit that chair!  Specifically when the dental assistant went to take x-rays of her teeth.  This is all I got before the consoling went into full effect!


And it got worse.  First, they couldn't get the x-rays because she was crying so hard.  Then, once the dentist came in, she went as straight as a board.  She would NOT lay down on the dental chair again.  So, guess what came next?  Picture this...

ME. sitting on the dental chair.  Sideways. 

Layla straddling me.  With both her legs wrap around my body.

She then leaned back on my thighs, with her head resting in the dentists lap. 

Yeah. 

And then her teeth were "cleaned." 

With a tooth brush.  Because the mechanical device, they thought, would be too much.  Right.

But, good news is....NO CAVATIES!!!!  That's a great thing and made this mommy feel better about not taking her sooner. 

This was Layla in the car.  With her balloon.  And Reagan.


After she finished spitting out and gagging over the flouride treatment.  Yes, my friends.  My drama baby actually GAGGED while we were checking out!  Seriously!?! 

I text her dad and it read...."She has ur dental anxieties!"

Lord help us all. 

6 comments:

Melissa said...

I'm sorry Mel...I could not stop laughing at this post. {sigh} Good thing dental cleanings are not that often.

Yay to no cavaties!!

I like the doll. And my heart breaks that color is already a topic at her age. Dang...kids ARE growing up way too fast.

p.s. whoever told her she had clown hair...lemme at 'em.

Kelly said...

I laughed out loud at this, I think she did quite good at the dentist, my best friends daughter who is 5 now went for her first visit at 4 and would totally not open her mouth! Layla is such a cutie...wth is wrong with these kids worrying about race so early...geesh I wonder if the kids that asked her have parents that talk about it a lot at home (smh) As a biracial woman I totally know what you are going through, but don't worry so much because she will figure it out and just buy her both black and white dolls, my mom did and I played with both of them...

Liz Mays said...

How cute that you captured that first visit. She's adorable!

Claire Kiefer said...

Layla is incredibly cute (what a pretty girl, really) and I'm sorry you've having to confront the "color" issues so early. I think you're a much better person/mom for doing so, however, and for talking about these things with her. She will be more interesting and informed than her peers. :)

Yay for no cavities! Wish I could say the same. ha

Tiffany said...

Bless her heart. I hope visiting the dentist gets better. I haven't taken G to the dentist yet either. The idea of taking a very active two year old to someone who is going to stick sharp objects in his mouth kind of freaks me out. How can that NOT be stressful??

Miss Laela is a lucky to girl to have such a rich and diverse heritage and not to mention the most awesome hair EVER.

Ashley said...

Yay for no cavaties! Shes such a cutie pie! My mom had the "color" talk with my sister and I when we were younger. Its diffifult at times being a person with a mixed background, especially at such a young age. I can def relate with you on that, but as I've gotten older I've looked at my background as a blessing. I get the best of several worlds! lol :) It will get easier as she grows! I love the pictures :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...